Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Counting words, or words that count.

Obviously, writing a book takes x number of words. More than 50,000 for a novel, generally speaking. Less than 20,000 to still qualify as a short story (though that's a pretty long short story if you ask me.)

Last year, I didn't write a lot of words, for various reasons.

This year, I was doing pretty good. I'd written 6000 or so by, you know, the sixth. Right on track.

And then I started editing.

Editing doesn't mean I'm not writing new words, of course, but it does mean that I'm basically switching out new words for the old ones that don't work as well. It means I'm not so much on track now and if I want to see my dates and numbers match up, I'm going to have to do a powerful lot of writing at some point.

Is it going to ruin my life? No. Is it going to make me a little nutty? Probably.

Then again, who would notice? I'm pretty crazy already. It's a writer thing.

So, if you're following me on WriteTrack and not seeing the status bar move, don't worry. I really am working. The new book is getting nice and shiny. It just *looks* like I'm marching in place.

Unless of course you're reading the serial. If you are, I have brand new words for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment