Friday, December 27, 2013

This here writing life.

This here writing life is not for the weak or the lazy, folks. That's something I've known for a while and thought I understood, but now that I've flung myself into the virtual trenches, I really, really get it.

And yes, I still want it. In case you were wondering. :)

It's been nine days since I first hit publish on Immortal Lies, sending my beloved book out into the world. It was nerve-wracking and I wasn't sure I'd done the right thing initially, but I can say now (after, yes, a whopping nine days) that I absolutely made the right choice.

Have I made a million dollars overnight? Ha! Only in my dreams. Thing is, most of the other overnight successes you hear about didn't actually do it overnight, either, so I'm okay with taking my time. The tricky part is balancing out everything else in my life with checking sales and checking stats and doing promotion and making sure everything looks right and is in the right place and...

See? Hard work. And it's not going to end any time soon.

In addition to spreading the word about my first book, I'm taking a hard look at what I want to work on next. I thought I had a plan in place, but after talking to several people, reading a lot of opinions, and rifling through what I have available and close to ready to go, I think I'm going to have to change my Big Plans up a bit.

Not complaining. I'm actually more excited about writing and this whole endeavor than I've been for a while. I am putting new words on the page. I am looking at my schedule and figuring out what's reasonable and what's a crazy woman's pipe dream. (I hope I don't have those two mixed up.)

Mostly, as 2013 drifts to a close, I'm happy to be leaving a not-so-great year behind and expecting pretty great things for 2014 and the years ahead. Now back to the writing desk, and to post that promotion and talk to that cover artist and, oh yeah, the dishes...

:)

(BTW? My friends are awesome. Just sayin'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment